Current Commemorative Naming Proposals

maxkeeping

Max Keeping Bridge:

In recognition of Max Keeping’s extensive community service, Jim Watson has requested on behalf of the City of Ottawa to name the new pedestrian and cycling bridge over Highway 417 near Coventry Road, “Max Keeping Bridge”.

Max Keeping was known as a community leader, a trusted source of news and local stories and a tireless advocate for our community’s most vulnerable.
Max was a uniquely accessible broadcaster, contributing his time and profile to raise funds for several local charities and causes. It is estimated that his efforts have helped raise more than $100 million for organizations such as the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO), Roger’s House, the United Way, the Boys and Girls Club, Operation Come Home and the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation.

Max was also a big supporter of local baseball and the pedestrian and cycling bridge over Highway 417 near Coventry Road is connected to the baseball stadium, where Max spent many afternoons and evenings. The bridge’s proximity to CHEO, to the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation and to the Cancer Survivors’ Park also make it a fitting location for this commemoration.

 

maguire

Howard A. Maguire Park:

In recognition of Howard A. Maguire’s demonstrated excellence, courage and exceptional service, I have requested on behalf of the City of Ottawa to name a future park at 560 Parade Drive, within the new residential development at 1921 Stittsville Main Street, “Howard A. Maguire Park”.

Howard A. Maguire was a resident of Stittsville for over 60 years. During this time, he served the community as a firefighter for 33 years. In 1967, Howard was named the volunteer fire chief of the Goulbourn-Stittsvile Fire Department and in 1972, he became the first full-time fire chief in Goulbourn Township. In 1985, he was the recipient of the Ontario Fire Services “Long Service Medal” and in 1987, he received the “Exemplary Service Medal” in recognition of his 30 years of service.

Howard founded the Stittsville News as a monthly local paper, with the first edition being printed on December 12, 1957. This newspaper has since become a strongly established weekly community publication.

In addition to the above, Howard and his wife Molly were members of the Stittsville United Church where Howard served on the church’s board of trustees and taught Sunday School for 13 years.

In their later years, Howard and Molly moved to a property on Flewellyn Road. Some of their land is now planned for development, which includes this proposed park.

If you would like to submit comments regarding these proposals or obtain further information, please contact:

Diane Blais
City Clerk and Solicitor Department
Ottawa City Hall
110 Laurier Ave. W., Ottawa, ON K1P 1J1
Tel: 613-580-2424, extension 28091
E-mail: namingottawa@ottawa.ca

Comments must be received no later than March 11, 2016.

Commemorative Naming Approved for Robert Grant Avenue

The Commemorative Naming request I initiated has been officially approved by the City of Ottawa.  City Council has approved the existing Founder Avenue be re-named Robert Grant Avenue to recognize two individuals who played an important role in the history and development of Goulbourn. The street which runs from Fernbank Road to lands extending past existing Abbott Street East is in an area currently under development.

Robert Grant (1793-1870) was an early settler in the area, a prominent figure in the community, and a representative of Goulbourn in the local government. He owned a considerable amount of land in Carleton County and was known for his progressive farming methods. He was involved in the potash and lumber industries, had a general store in the area, was a Captain in the militia, and served in the battles of Ogdensburg and Windmill in the 1830s. He was a warden of the Anglican Church and died in the Carleton County fire of 1870 while attempting to save church records from his home.

Robert H. Grant (1860-1930) was Robert Grant’s son. He continued his father’s political legacy and farmed on the family’s property. He held political office and a variety of public service positions in Goulbourn Township, and went on to serve as provincial Minister of Education from 1919 to 1923.

The street name “Robert Grant”, recognizing the significance of both Robert Grants, and this road runs through the area where the Grant farm was located.