At City Council this week, OC Transpo staff presented an update regarding the information sessions for Para Transpo held earlier this year.
The purpose of the information sessions was to update customers on recent and upcoming initiatives. Following the sessions, staff held workshops with customers to discuss and solicit feedback on the possibility of implementing an online booking system for Para Transpo. The two sessions were well attended, with a total of 93 attendees. The sessions were well-received and meaningful feedback was provided by customers, both verbally and in writing.
Some of the major updates provided to customers were:
- The current shorter phone queues when booking trips in the morning;
- The expansion of eligibility to include persons with developmental/mental health disabilities, and the low number of new customers;
- Introduction of the new service provider for the assessment of applications and renewals; and
- The completion and full introduction of the ParaPay fare system.
Some of the main points made by customers were:
- Concerns that the new eligibility criteria will tax Para Transpo’s resources;
- Concerns about the cost of a medical form for the renewal process;
- Paying for companions using ParaPay; and
- Why Presto readers are not available on Para Transpo minibuses and taxis.
A summary of the feedback received from customers is provided in the attached document, and the full list of almost 300 questions and answers will be sent to attendees and posted on octranspo.com for those who were unable to attend.
On the subject of online booking, there was no consensus among the customers who participated in the workshops. Some customers expressed strong support for the convenience and some expressed significant concerns about access and inequity. Staff will work to find and develop a business and technological solution that will address the needs and interests of customers. A report with recommendations relating to online booking will be brought to the Transit Commission in the next term of Council.