I would like to take a moment to thank all residents from Fringewood Drive who have recently reached out to my office and attended the public meeting with recommendations on road improvements.
I have shared your comments with City staff and now I am pleased to share that information about the Road Modifications Approval project is now available for review at https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-engagement/projects/fringewood-drive-paved-shoulders-and-sidewalk for approximately 4 weeks for public consultation.
This report provides the background, rationale and description of the improvements proposed for Fringewood Drive based on feedback provided by my office on behalf of the community. As discussed at the public meeting on May 1st, the proposed project consists of:
- A new concrete sidewalk on the west side of Fringewood Drive from just north of Azurite Crescent to Harry Douglas Drive; and
- A new asphalt paved shoulder:
- On the east side of Fringewood Drive from just north of Azurite Crescent to approximately 180m south of Hazeldean; and
- On the west side of Fringewood Drive from just north of Azurite Crescent to approximately 65m south of Hazeldean Road.
The new sidewalk will be located along the alignment of the existing curb. The paved shoulders will be constructed by paving the existing gravel shoulders and striping an edge line along the road.
The proposed changes to Fringewood Drive will:
- Improve conditions for cycling;
- Improve bus stop access; and
- Improve pedestrian safety and comfort by providing a better space for walking.
The project is currently in the planning stage. This will be followed by the design phase starting later in 2018. The schedule for construction will be determined as part of the design phase.
The drawing below shows the location of the proposed paved shoulders and sidewalk.
I encourage all Fringewood and neigbouring residents to take this opportunity to provide your feedback on the project before the July 9th deadline. Comments can be sent to the Senior Project Manager, Robert Grimwood at Robert.Grimwood@ottawa.ca or (613) 580-2424 x28757.