On Monday, the Ottawa Board of Health held its second meeting of 2018.
The Board discussed its report on Reducing Harms from Gambling, which provides data on the issue of problem gambling in Ottawa and outlines a four-point plan, and related funding request, to reduce the harms from gambling in our community.
In approving the report, the Board also reiterated the position taken in 2013 against increasing access to and availability of gambling in Ottawa and recognized that the funding request outlined in the report may not be enough in the long run to fully enable OPH and partners to effectively deal with this issue.
In approving this report, the Board received and approved the recommendations contained in two (2) submissions made to the Province in March in response to public consultations on regulations under the Smoke Free Ontario Act, 2017 (SFOA) and Cannabis Act, 2017.
Specifically, the submission on the SFOA talked about establishing restrictions on places of use and restrictions or requirements for tobacco and vapour products with respect to places of sale, flavoured products, sale/supply to minors, signage, display and promotion, packaging and health warnings. For its part, the submission on the Cannabis Act addressed establishing specific restrictions and exemptions for where non-medical cannabis and other forms of medical cannabis may be used.
The Board approved the following items on consent:
- Ottawa Public Health’s 2017 Annual Report
- Ottawa Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Planning Approach for New Ottawa Public Health Strategic Plan (2019-2022)
- 2017 Operating Budget Year-End Results – Board of Health for the City of Ottawa Health Unit Status Report
- Delegation of Authority – Contracts Awarded for the Period of July 1 to December 31, 2017
- Attendance at the Association of Local Public Health Agencies’ (alPHa) 2018 Annual General Meeting and Conference
- Election-Related Resources Policy
- Sponsors Group Report on the Selection and Appointment of a New Medical Officer of Health – In Camera
The meeting as a whole is available on Youtube and interested residents are encouraged to view it at the link listed below: