I would like to take a moment to share an exciting opportunity for youth to get involved in the City of Ottawa’s upcoming Light Rail Transit (LRT) system before its launch in 2018!
The name of the game is “Name the Trains”!
Children and youth 16 years of age and under are invited to submit their name suggestions for all 40 of Ottawa’s train cars – the 34 Alstom Citadis Spirit electric train cars that will operate along the O-Train Confederation Line and the six Alstom Coradia LINT diesel train cars that operate along the O-Train Trillium Line.
The rules are simple:
- Names should be short (maximum of 16 characters)
- Names should be related to trains (or train service) or have a Canadian or Ottawa-related significance
- Names must fit into one or more of the following 5 categories: people, animals, natural world, culture or history
- Names should be bilingual or easily translatable (English & French)
- Names should be friendly (nothing negative, please!), have a pleasant sound and be easy to remember
- Participants can submit as many separate entries as they wish, but each contest participant can only win once
- Names cannot be current or future O-Train Confederation or Trillium Line station names
This is a great opportunity for youth to show their creative spirit for a transit system that will be utilized long after they grow up and become the next generation of transit users!
I encourage all Stittsville residents to motivate their kids to try their hand at this unique venture and get involved in the biggest infrastructure project in Ottawa’s history!
The entry form, along with more contest details – including rules, regulations and guidelines – are available at octranspo.com/ready4rail.
A total of 40 train cars will be named as part of the Name the Trains Contest – consisting of 34 O-Train Confederation Line train cars and six O-Train Trillium Line train cars. The contest deadline is December 8, 2017, and a selection panel will review the name submissions. Winners will be announced in 2018.
Get Ready, Ottawa! The first stop is almost here!