I have received a number of questions and comments from residents regarding the Johnwoods Street Closure which will be taking place on November 15th. For background, including information on the decision to close the road, I encourage residents to ensure they have reviewed the information posted on my website here.
Working with City staff, the following responses have been prepared for some of the questions that have been raised. I am continuing to work with City staff on the questions that have been raised and will share more information with the community in the coming weeks as we move forward in this process.
There have been requests for a delay to the closure and at this time there are no plans to delay the closure of the road. It is anticipated that this entire project will be completed by the end of June 2018.
Linear Park Design Comments:
- Some residents have requested an extension to the comment deadline for the design details of the park. The deadline for design comments has been extended until November 30th, 2017.
- Following the deadline of November 30th, comments will be consolidated and reviewed. Responses and any revisions will be posted in my eNewsletter.
- Residents have raised concerns with some of the road conditions in the area. Santolina and the portion of Rosehill within the Fairwinds West subdivision is complete with top lift of asphalt. Top lift on the remaining portion of Rosehill is estimated for summer 2018 due to continuous work on the Poole Creek subdivision. The barricade on Rosehill will be open without the top lift being completed. A request has been placed with Tartan to help fix some of the potholes near Rosehill and Warmstone to provide a better driving condition.
- There have been inquiries regarding the classifications of roads in this area and on the map it notes that Maple Grove Road is a Major Collector Road and that the southern portion of Johnwoods and Rosehill are classified as Collector Roads. A reminder that an extensive list of all road classifications in Stittsville is available on the “Ward Maps” section of my website under the “Community” header or by clicking here.
- Rosehill and Santolina were designed to accommodate transit service and this was also noted in the purchase and sales agreements of the homes on these streets.
Rosehill Traffic Calming:
- Rosehill Drive will have traffic calming measures installed on the street. Please see the map available here, showing the location of the permanent and temporary traffic calming measures planned for the street.
- The long term permanent plan is to have traffic calming chicanes installed on the street. These will be installed once the entire street receives the top lift of asphalt in 2018. The final design for these is in the process of being completed and will be shared with the community once complete.
- In the interim, by November 8th there will be flex stakes placed in 5 locations on Rosehill Drive. These will remain in place until the snow falls this season and if necessary will be re-installed in the Spring 2018 before the chicanes are installed.
Traffic Counts for Johnwoods
- Transportation staff are reviewing the traffic data submitted by the community. This data is being compared to the City’s existing data as well as data which I contracted to have done on the street. The City’s Transportation Department has also recently taken a traffic count during Ottawa Senators home games and this data is currently being processed.
Closure Notice Signage
- Portable visual messaging signage (PVMS) has been installed in a number of locations as of November 2nd to advise commuters of the road closure.
Update to Mapping Programs
- The City’s mapping program will be updated and the City has also been in contact with mapping agencies such as Google Maps.