Residents and visitors travelling around town this weekend are advised that there will be traffic impacts as a result of special events and activities. Travelers can find the full list of impacts on the traffic report on the City’s website.
Some of these traffic impacts include:
- Heavy traffic around the Canada Aviation and Space Museum is expected this Saturday and Sunday due to the Red Bull Global Rallycross event happening there. Ticket holders are encouraged to park at La Cité Collégiale and ride the free shuttle to the Museum. There will be no parking along the Sir George-Étienne Cartier Parkway, which will not close this Sunday for NOKIA’s Sunday Bike Days.
- Main Street Re-opening Celebration – Main Street will be closed to traffic Saturday, June 17, from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., between Hazel Street and Clegg Street, for a community event marking the completion of the Main Street renewal project. During the closure, OC Transpo buses will be detoured.
- The area around Dow’s Lake and Preston Street will be impacted by heavy traffic due to two major events happening there this weekend.
- Races taking place around Dow’s Lake as part of the Ottawa International Triathlon Weekend will affect traffic with road closures on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Details can be found on the event’s website.
- Preston Street and nearby roads will be closed as part of Italian Week, from Friday, June 16 at 4 p.m., until Sunday, June 18 at midnight. The Italian Car Parade on Saturday and the Preston Street Bicycle Races on Sunday will also cause delays due to closures and detours. A full list of road closures and impacts for Italian Week can be found on the City’s traffic report.
- Glowfair – Glowfair Festival takes place June 16 and 17 and a number of street closures will be in place around Bank Street, between Slater and James. Find all the details on the City’s traffic report.
- Carivibe – Trim Road, between Jeane-d’Arc Boulevard and the bridge to Petrie Island, will close this Saturday, June 17 from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. as part of Carivibe celebrations. Eastbound St. Joseph Boulevard, from Orléans Boulevard to Prestone Drive, will also be closed for the event’s parade on Saturday from noon until 1:30 p.m. Access to businesses on the south side of St. Joseph Boulevard will be maintained. Find the full list of affected roads on the City’s traffic report.
- NOKIA Sunday Bike Days – The Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway and Colonel By Drive will be closed to motorists this Sunday, between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. The Sir George-Étienne Cartier Parkway will remain open this Sunday.
I encourage all residents to plan their route prior to travelling downtown this weekend. Using transit to get to and from these events is a great idea to travel hassle-free and OC Transpo’s Travel Planner can help you find the best route to your destination.