With the Month of May upon us, the 65th annual Ottawa Tulip Festival is on its way and with Canada’s 150th anniversary celebrations in full swing, there are many special events to enjoy.
The festival runs from May 12-22 at Lansdowne Park. In memory of Canada’s provision of safe haven for the Dutch Royal Family during World War II, it is celebrated each year in Ottawa as a gesture of friendship between Canada and the Netherlands.
This year, keep your eyes peeled for the special commemorative Canada 150 Tulip! If you have planted some of these special tulips, please provide us with some photos by emailing me at Shad.Qadri@ottawa.ca to be featured in a future column.
Tickets are on sale now for the following experiences:
- 65th Anniversary Tulipmania Fireworks: Sunday, May 21, 6:30 pm to 10 pm
- Opening Night Vernissage: Friday, May 12, 6 pm to 9 pm
- International Friendship Floral Celebration: Thursday, May 18, 6 pm to 9 pm
- Gordon Harrison Workshops: May 20/21, 9 am to 2 pm
- Swing Dance Night: Friday, May 19, 7:30 pm to 11:30 pm
I would like to invite all residents to find a chance to enjoy the warmer weather and fresh air before the tulip festival closes May 22. As an annual tradition unique to Ottawa, this is a wonderful opportunity to be proud of the city that we are fortunate enough to live in and the rich history it represents.
For more festival information, visit the Canadian Tulip Festival website.