The City of Ottawa is pleased to announce the annual GLAD Cleaning the Capital campaign is taking place from April 15 to May 15.
Registration is quick and easy:
- Go to ottawa.ca/clean, or call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401) to register for the cleanup. The interactive map will show you which locations have already been claimed, allow you to register your own project site and choose the cleanup supplies that you need.
- Select a location such as a park, ravine, shoreline, bus stop, pathway or any public area that requires litter pickup or graffiti removal. GLAD Cleaning the Capital is a city-wide event that brings together neighbours, communities and friends to help keep Ottawa clean and green! Last year alone, 72,000 volunteers collected more than 58,182 kilograms of litter from 1,300 projects. This is a great opportunity for families and friends to work together on community cleanup projects that help make Ottawa clean, green, graffiti-free and litter-free. Cleaning the Capital is also an excellent way for high school students to earn their community volunteer hours.
- On April 30th, volunteers from the Stittsville Food Bank will be cleaning up Stittsville Main St with a Canadian theme, celebrating 150 years of Canada. Residents are also welcome to join their project by meeting at the Food Bank (1631 Stittsville Main) at 9:45. By 10:00, they will be moving from the Food Bank on Stittsville Main toward Hazeldean Road and they will have big red bins available to accept donations. If you see them, feel free to stop by and bring some non-perishable food donations.
- The Stittsville Goulbourn Horticultural Society’s annual clean-up day is taking place Saturday, April 29th at 10:00. Residents are invited to meet at Village Square Park to pick up gloves and bags to clean up a portion of the Trans Canada Trail. High School students can earn volunteer hours doing this task. Bring along forms so that someone can sign off on the hours. Many hands make light work and they look forward to seeing as many volunteers as possible!
- The Jackson Trails annual spring clean-up will also be held on April 29th from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM at Pioneer Plains Park. Garbage bags and gloves will be provided!
- As well, the Bryanston Gate Community Association has organized their cleanup on Saturday, April 29th beginning at 10:00 AM. Volunteers are welcomed and advised to “bring a rake and a smile!”
Each year, I am thrilled to see so many Stittsville residents showing pride in their communities as they help to keep things clean. I encourage all residents to organize a team for participation and share your project with me at Shad.Qadri@ottawa.ca.