This week, I had the pleasure of joining Hydro Ottawa at A Lorne Cassidy and Guardian Angels for informative electrical safety presentations. Students learned to Become as Smart as a Fox About Electricity.
Communicating the importance of electricity safety and conservation is critical, especially amongst our city’s youth. The presentations delivered important information about how electricity works, how to stay safe around it and how to conserve at home and at school.
Here are some Hydro Ottawa tips for ensuring your home can operate safely around electrical energy as well:
- Look for damaged wires. Wires that are misshapen, torn, or frayed could cause electrical shocks or fires
- Unplug chargers for cell phones and other electronics when not in use
- Never stick a metal utensil in the toaster to retrieve a stuck items, always unplug the toaster and dump it upside down to dislodge the item.
- Extension cords are never to be used in place of a permanent outlet and should never be connected together. Contact a licensed electrician to install new permanent outlets
- Label the circuit breakers in your electrical panel so that you can easily identify problems in case of an outage
- When unplugging an appliance, always pull on the plug itself, not the cord
- Do not leave cords in areas where people walk frequently. Not only is this a tripping hazard, but it can also damage the cord
- Every month adults should test the GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter) outlets usually found in bathrooms to ensure they are working as they project from shocks.
- Always use light bulbs that have the appropriate wattage indicated on the light socket
- Call 1.800.400.2255 before you dig on your property or visit: http://www.on1call.com/
At the presentations the students also learned how to be safe in your community, some of the tips included:
- Stay away from hydro lines and substations, even being too close to these areas can be dangerous as the electricity can jump up to 1 meter. If you lose something over the fence at a substation or something is stuck on a hydro wire call Hydro Ottawa and they will retrieve it for free and deliver it to your house.
- If you come across a live hydro wire on the ground always stay at least 10 meters away and call 911 immediately. However, if you are in a car and a hydro wire is near or on the car stay in the car and wait for emergency staff to assist you.
- Do not climb hydro poles and do not climb trees near hydro poles.
- Do not play on or around the green pad mount transformers located on some front yards or in other areas of the community. If these are not properly sealed and closed they can be extremely dangerous. If you notice something exposed or damaged on these transformers call Hydro Ottawa immediately.
These are just some of the useful tips to ensure you are utilizing your electricity safely and efficiently. You can find more tips at https://hydroottawa.com/outages/safety/safety-inside and you can find coupons for a wide range of energy-efficient products https://hydroottawa.com/save-energy/residential/coupons .
Remember, safety first.