Change your batteries at the end of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

co_det

November 1 to 7 is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week and Ottawa residents are reminded to ensure that their homes meet safety standards required by Ontario law.

Any residential property with a fuel-fired appliance or attached garage must have a carbon monoxide alarm installed near each sleeping area. In multi-residential dwellings, CO alarms are required in service areas, units that are attached to service areas and units that have fuel-burning appliances.

Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible, odourless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage can also produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

If the audible trouble signal sounds on your alarm:

  • Check for low batteries. If the battery is low, replace it.
  • If it still sounds, or you suspect CO in your home, have everyone in the home exit to the outdoors and then call 9-1-1.
  • Remain at the fresh air location until emergency personnel arrive to assist you.